Sunday, December 9, 2007

Busy Vacation

*pant pant* *pant pant* *pant pant*
I am very busy at GrandpaDave's. There is so much to do! He has 60 acres for us to patrol and lots of birds and goats and stuff. I don't have time to talk about it all because I need to get back to sniffing out this new coyote. Here's GrandpaDave's account (he started calling us the Wild Dogs):

Dobby doesn’t like to eat when he comes to my house. Ophi is a little that way too and all three don’t like eating out the bowls. BUT—I noticed that they are all over me when I am eating and if I drop a crumb or two they are on it like stink on a skunk. So--- we invented a new and very exciting eating technique that everyone (all wild dogs that is) eagerly participate in. I swept my kitchen floor first. Then when it is time for them to eat, I spread two hand full’s of their food across the clean floor and they vacuum it in seconds. They think they are getting a find – it brings out the wild dog hunting instincts and it is fun. Oh – I also get freshly polished floors. As I type this, they are dining on the floor of the deck. Now this is a real wild dog hunt as it is outside and I spread a lot of food in all directions so they have to hunt for it and they do—then they can go down the stairs and hunt for real wild things to put in their mouths and recycle in nature. Happy wild dogs. Xena and Bear usually joins the pack and then they all run around the house a time or two and up and down the hill to the barn and back… Dobby will go to the fence and stare at the goats and when they get irritated at that they charge the fence in a mock attack. Dobby backs off and barks. Scarlett looks on with amazement and Ophi runs to the top of the deck stairs and calls out the game like a sports announcer.

There is a real wild dog, a coyote, that has been hunting mice all day in the hay field and every once in a while Xena or Bear catches his sent and come charging around the house and bark at the coyote. Then the wild dogs come to their support and start barking here in the house. They look a little confused and embarrassed when I ask them if they know why they are barking. Now when they are outside on the deck – they seem to sent the coyote to and actually know why they are barking and they look out across the field and just dare the coyote to come into the yard. You know how tough Dobby thinks he is and especially with Bear and Xena backing him up. Tough guy.

I just asked the pack if they wanted to go with me tomorrow to pick you guys up [at the airport] and IMMEDATELY Ophi barked twice and Dobby headed for the garage door. Scarlett just ran with Dobby running circles around him as they both traversed the house. So it was two votes for and one abstention. The wild pack will be with me when we pick you up.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Whoa! It sounds like you are having so much fun. 60 acres is very big. I think the Wild-Dogs eating from the floor game sounds great! Happy hunting!

Poppy said...

What a great sounding vacation! But I can't believe you fell for that "eating from the floor" trick. That won't work on me--I'm too picky! :)

Poppy

Deefor said...

Lucky Dobby!
Getting to run around and bark a lot. Great vacation. You guys are brave barking at coyotes.

Deefor